Monday, February 25, 2013

Father's Eyes

Feeling convicted this evening over being so negative...  I've been having a pity party for one lately just because things don't go the way that I want them to.  Trying to write lesson plans and do work was not working this evening.  So I went to go read Heather's latest blog post.  (If you don't follow her, you totally should! http://livewithflair.blogspot.com)

Today's post ("I've Lowered My Standards") was exactly what I needed.  She reminds us of how God makes us truly thankful.  She leaves off with the question "Have you learned to be thankful of something you once took for granted?"

Yes.

I'm thankful for the days I can drag myself out of bed and actually have near normal sensation on my right side.  I'm thankful when I can forget about nerve damage and just do all the things I want to do.  I'm thankful that I can walk, even though it looks funny sometimes.  That's okay.  At least I can move!

I think back to a song I sang years ago in church (Father's Eyes by Amy Grant)

"I may not be every mother's dream for her little girl
And my face may not grace the mind of everyone in the world
But that's all right as long as I can have one wish, I pray
When people look inside my life, I want to hear them say

She's got her Father's eyes
Her Father's eyes
Eyes that find the good in things, when good is not around
Eyes that find the source of help, when help just can't be found
Eyes full of compassion, seeing every pain
Knowing what you're going through and feeling it the same
Just like my Father's eyes"

I want that.  Negative people bring everyone around them down with them.  And I don't want to be that person.

I'm not saying that I want to be one of those annoying Christians that never seems to have anything wrong and always has their head in the clouds...  I think there is a time and a place for lamenting.  But that doesn't mean that I have the right to complain constantly about everything.

So, I'm asking God to give me His eyes and teach me to be thankful for what I take for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment